Hooray for all things pumpkin! We stumbled upon this simple yet stunningly delicious perfect-for-Fall pumpkin cake, with a maple cream cheese frosting, created by Heather of the Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes food blog. Take your time with this one, it's sure to be a party show stopper. Or keep it all to yourself. We won't judge. *wink*
1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance vegan butter, melted
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (optional)
1 16oz container of plain coconut-based yogurt
1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
1 15 oz can of pure pumpkin puree
1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance vegan butter, very soft
1 8oz container of plain Tofutti Cream Cheese, very soft
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
Pecan slices for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease two 4" round cake pans (or a 9x9 baking pan)
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
3. In a medium sauce pan melt the butter. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar, coconut yogurt, and pumpkin puree until well combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pans, smooth tops, and gently tap each pan on the counter.
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit and cool in pans for 10 minutes.
6. While the cakes bake, prepare the frosting by whisking together the vegan butter, cream cheese, and maple syrup until smooth.
7. Spread top of cooled cake with maple frosting. Layer and repeat. Garnish. Serve!
Find more Fall-inspired recipes over on SundayMorningBananaPancakes.com.