Memorial Day is around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with deliciously messy vegan Sloppy Joes! Created by Morgan of the Fo' Reals Lifefood blog; this Sloppy Joe recipe is sure to grab everyone's attention at this year's annual shindig. Add some fries and a pickle to the side and you've got yourself a mighty tasty, party-friendly plate of goodness.
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. molasses
2 Tbs. yellow mustard
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbs. vinegar (malt or rice both work well)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 lb (16 oz) crumbled tempeh
salt and pepper to taste
1. Blend the chopped tomatoes, ketchup, sugar, molasses, yellow mustard, garlic, and vinegar together until totally smooth. Then set aside.
2. Cook the chopped onion, pepper, and tempeh in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat until the onions are translucent and the tempeh is slightly browned (add a bit of water if needed, to prevent sticking).
3. Pour the sauce mixture over top the cooked onion, pepper, and tempeh.
4. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until the sauce thickens.
5. Pile a scoop onto a burger bun or roll, and serve!
NOTE: The nutrition facts numbers do not include the bread. They are based solely on the ingredients listed above.
For more beautifully crafted vegan recipes visit FoRealsLife.com.